Wednesday, October 25, 2017

A Ground Hog Adventure


October 24th, 1917

Today I decided to take the new pup, Simon to the woods. He's a Plot/Cur and a fine specimen of a hunting dog. Nose to the ground and head up looking for game.

We started down into the woods and he started to tracking. Made our way down a steep hill into the holler and found a good spot to sit and wait for movement.

About 5 feet from me Simon started to dig and whimper and let out a few "yips". He had found a chipmunk but when I went to help him the chipmunk darted away to safety.

After that we made our way up the other side of the hill along a rocky creek bed. As we went I looked about 40 yards ahead and saw what I thought was a ground hog. I took a few more steps and saw his head move, brought my gun up, aimed quickly and fired. He fell instantly and Simon and I ran up to make sure he was good and dead. When Simon arrived he grabbed it by the scruff of the neck and shook him a good time or two.
Simon is gonna be a fine dog.

-Jake Book, Kentucky

No comments:

Post a Comment